Friday, May 25, 2012

A little secret…

When I decided I was going to set myself a fundraising challenge I actually thought I was training for the Sheffield 10K and it was only when I entered myself online did I realise it was a half marathon. By this time it was too late, I had opened by big mouth so needed to commit. I can do this I told myself-I’ve given birth to 2 children, what’s 13.1miles. But I don’t think I actually believed I could and to be honest still not convinced I can! But let me tell you, training for this has been like climbing Everest and at times probably as cold! I’ve cried, moaned, panicked, lost sleep and been injured, but I have never been on this journey alone. From the very beginning my family and friends (even though they thought I was mad!) have supported me every step of the way. I also never expected so many children and their parents to get involved in the fun run which has been very humbling and I can’t wait to see you all in your T-shirts on Sunday. I also learnt this morning that Heidi who started training with me at the beginning with the intention of getting fit and had to stop training due to illness has decided she will participate on Sunday and carry a collecting tin. What an amazing lady. As I sit here feeling terrified about Sunday but overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness of others, I remind myself why all this started- To try to raise awareness and make a difference through research to the lives of Children with Type 1 diabetes. Even though I don’t know at this stage how much we have raised I do believe that in a small part, in a close community of Sheffield this challenge has been achieved. Thank you so much to all of you. Clare, David, James & Grace. XX

No comments:

Post a Comment